Monday, March 24, 2008

Platform Vs Service

There is confusing in my mind to actually figure out what do you actually mean by a platform and what is a service ?
My visualization is getting a little blurred because of the confusion ...
A platform is a concrete space available for doing something. Launch a service ..may be...
A service is focused around a customer where you deliver value for some return.
Actually these definitions are also vague in my mind...
A want to see myself as a platform but always my definition about me happens as a service ... will update this space once a clarity emerges..

2 comments:

Nirav said...

Hi,

I think the key difference between the two can be explained by the difference between Web 1.0 and Web 2.0 - interactivity.

If we allow ourselves to be "customisable" during an interaction with another person, we are a platform, and if we are exactly the way we are, at different points of time... or with different people, regardless of how they behave, we are a service. People would come to us only when they want the particular service.

The fun part of being a platform is, even the user doesn't know the extent to which we can be of help to him :-)

Exciting, isn't it?

Tazeen said...

thanks nirav,

nice way of putting it.. But can ypu explain the web 1.0 and web 2.0 phenomenon